Sunday, February 5, 2012


Pallet Garden








We live in an apartment, and have a VERY small balcony, but we also have a yard that is  shared with  the downstairs tenants. We can use part of the yard for a garden, but I would like to have as much as I can on the balcony, easily accessible from my kitchen. 

I'm hoping for a much better garden this year than what I had last year. I want to use my space wisely, and have a wide variety of vegetables. I may be sharing space with a friend, which will also help to defray some of the work. This year, I really need to start canning and freezing. I met a woman a few years ago who had a pretty big garden, and rarely had to buy any vegetables at all....I'd like to be as close to that as I can. 

I'd like to have the yard fenced in completely, but it's a rental, so that isn't a likely thing. Ideally, we'd be able to have a nice outdoor living area. However, it wouldn't be nice without a six foot privacy fence. We're in the hood, yo. There's a lot of craziness around here. It's the fence issue that makes me seriously consider moving. I'd love a fence to keep my dogs in and the people out. If I could have some chickens too, that would be awesome. 

I always feel like I'm starting my planning too late. Shouldn't I have already started my seeds inside? Shouldn't I know where everything is going to go? There's lots of work to be done.....

2 comments:

  1. It's never too late to start your seeds. I'm in Northern California and I just sent off for my seed catalogs. As I'd say by the end of March we should be starting our little seedlings. We're going to dig up part of our backyard lawn - a bigger veggie plot than last year. Each year we get more daring. I love your pallet garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're probably going to till part of our backyard (we did last year, too) and we do need a bigger space as well. I hope you'll blog about your garden when you get it going! :)

    ReplyDelete