Monday, February 20, 2012

My Gardening Start, And A Little About Poverty

In my garden, from Spring 2010


Today the boys and I started some seeds in 2 liter soda bottles. All of my seeds are organic, non gmo, and I am HOPING this year's garden will do better than last year's. We had a ton of eggplant, but not much else. I like eggplant, and as vegetarians, we rely on it for our burger fix{recipe here, if you're interested!} BUT DAMN IT WAS A LOT OF EGGPLANT. What I'm really after this year is a proper garden with a fuck ton of tomatoes because I really want to can/ freeze like crazy. Trying to buy organic produce is not easy where I live, not *everything* is readily available, nor is it affordable, and we are on a very limited budget.

Yes, we are POOR, and finding ways to live well, working to enrich our lives without spending money we don't have. So, gardening is one of those things. We've been punched in the face by the economy and made some unwise decisions. I miss having money, but I've found that, in some ways, this poverty has given me more opportunities than one would think. I've connected with people I wouldn't normally have, I've found passions I never thought I'd have.

I've learned to grow some of our own food. Even though it's out of necessity, it's given us something to do as a family that isn't using gas or costing money (except for the initial start up fund), and it's a great learning experience for all of us. We garden without the use of pesticides/ herbicides, and we'll be learning to preserve different things this year (my three year old insisted on growing beets, and I am 35 and have never eaten a beet in my life)...so! Lots of learning!

I started volunteering, because it really is a great way to find a job. I did find a job that way, but I also widened my circle of friends. And while I know ALL  kinds of people (rich & poor, atheist & religious, etc) we are all connected by our common passion. Also, serving others is GOOD for you. It adds such a richness to your life! It's easy to write a check to make a donation, but getting out there and working your ass off for something you believe in? It's infinitely better for you. I see the absolute worst of people, but I see the best of people too.

When we had money, taking a vacation meant going somewhere and staying in a hotel. But we can't really afford it now. I've connected with people online, through blogs and Facebook, and have cultivated friendships all over the country. I've gone to Colorado for the first time to visit a Facebook friend, and she took us all over Colorado Springs and Manitou Springs. We stayed in her little house with her daughter (the same age as my daughter) and her dogs, cooked our meals together and had a lovely time. This spring I am taking a solo vacation to Florida to stay with a bloggy friend I've known for a few years online. On the BEACH. I know the very kindest people.

We go to free local events. I've met artists, street artists, bands, poets, anarchists, activists, writers, etc. We are active in our economically diverse community, and nothing here is about how much money you have. In being poor, I really did learn that I have value that far exceeds the money I used to have.




4 comments:

  1. Hey there :) New follower here, stopping by from "According to..."! Your blog is gorgeous! I'm a graphic designer so I cannot tell you how in awe I am of your photographs, so beautiful! Looking forward to reading more!

    Teana
    http://mommahoyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh too, (in regards to your blog post) I know EXACTLY where you are coming from. Me and my husband are in CA and with the economy that way that it is, we're way low on the income spectrum (and I mean lllooowwwww) and have always wanted to do things like gardening!

    To not only experience just working with your hands in the dirt, but to also save money on veggies and later on fruits (my husband's family is used to things like this because his mom grew up on a farm...my mom...city gal, not so much).

    I'm still getting used to not being able to have the same opportunities as my other friends who are a little better off, but I hope to learn and grasp the same philosophy too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teana, thanks so much for the compliment! It took me a while to get to really feel like thinking this way, I spent some time (I'm not going to lie) feeling pretty bitter about our circumstances, and every now and then I still do. If you can, start a garden this year, even if it's just a small herb garden. It's so worth it! <3

      Delete
  3. Thanks for joining me over at the Little Shack! I've started following u 2! Love your blog and look forward to reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete