Tuesday, January 24, 2012

DogStuff, GardenStuff,

This is Marini, a two year old shepherd mix. He has some anxiety issues to work on, and needs to learn his basic obedience. So tomorrow, that is what I'll start working on. I had a lot of success with the last dog I worked on. From the first class to the last class, she was a different dog. She started out with absolutely zero interest in me or in learning, but by the last class? OMG. She was amazing: engaging and charming and knew all of her obedience commands. Potential adopters love to see a dog that makes eye contact and can sit! lay down! shake hands! etc. THIS is what I want to help Marini accomplish.
*note: all of the dogs at the shelter have strange names

I worked with two dogs that I have ALWAYS been terrified of. This is a big deal for me! A chow, who had his warning growl trained out of him by someone who didn't understand it was preferable to have a growl before the bite than just a bite out of nowhere....and then a very large Saint Bernard/ Boxer mix that had some fear aggression issues. I just thought of them as puppies and went for it.








I've started planning my garden for this year. Last year's garden started out pretty well, but it turned into a disaster full of weeds. Also, the summer was unusually harsh where I live. I got some eggplants and tomatoes, but not much else. My seeds will come from Botanical Interests, because they are non gmo and not affiliated in any way with Monsanto. I'll need to do a  lot of things differently this year, I'm hoping I can carve out the time to have a proper garden, and even jar & freeze stuff.

Anyway! Big plans!


1 comment:

  1. The puppy sounds so sweet. They must love all of the attention at the class.

    ReplyDelete